Tuesday, April 20, 2010

RIP Guru

I was in my early teens when I first heard Gangstarr’s “Who’s gonna take the weight?”. I still remember my friend and I chose this song to use for our battle routine against some 8th grade kids from another city. Those were the days when all we worried about was how to be the baddest “houser” in the neighborhood. No bills, no mortgage, no drama. Just perfect the whole rotation on a 1990 and everything is all good, my man.

When I heard today’s news about Guru passing away, the epic Kennedy Junior High School battle was the first thing that came to mind. Now in my early 30’s, I can go on and on about all the nostalgic memories every Gangstarr/Guru hit brings back. May you rest in peace, Mr. Keith Elam. Thank you for all the great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment